P0005 – Fuel Shutoff Valve Control Circuit / Open
What does the code P0005 mean?
– P0005: “Fuel shut-off valve circuit – open”.
– This is a general error code that indicates that the engine control module (ECM) detects a problem with the fuel pump shutdown coil. This code is rare.
– The fuel pump coil is an electromagnetic switch that allows or blocks the flow of fuel from the fuel pump to the engine according to the ignition switch position. After turning the ignition switch with the key, a signal is sent to the fuel pump solenoid, which extends or retracts the axle, which in turn starts or stops the flow of fuel to the engine.
– The generic obd2 P0005 code is rarely used by vehicle manufacturers, so if this code appears, make sure you are using the correct diagnostic interface for the particular make and model of the car in question.
– This code appears with such errors as: P0006 and P0007.
What causes this code?
– The main reason for this failure is that there is a defective circuit in the electrical system responsible for controlling the fuel shut-off valve, so it should be checked and repaired as necessary.
– Other possible causes:
- Damaged sensor or electromagnetic coil, so replace it if necessary.
- The circuit connector is damaged or corroded so it should be repaired or replaced.
- Incorrect circuit voltage, check for a short circuit.
- Fuel pressure is not enough, check the fuel pump, regulator, fuel filter, even the fuel supply channel.
- Motor control module defective, check.
- The control unit or control unit needs updating or is damaged and needs to be replaced.
What are the symptoms of p0005?
Although other symptoms may occur, the most important is the failure indicator light (MIL or Service Engine Soon).
- Loss of power.
- Increased fuel consumption
- Problem with starting the vehicle
What repairs can repair p0005 code?
- Replacement of a defective engine control module.
- Replacement of a damaged fuel pump shut-off coil.
- Fuel pump replacement.